- High in folate (important B vitamin, especially for women of child-bearing age)
- High in Fiber!
- Vitamin C
- Important Minerals- Iron, Copper, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Manganese
- Betacyanin- Cancer-fighting agent making them red/orange
- Liver detoxification assistant- great for juicing during cleanses!!
- 2 Beet root bulbs- save the greens for a salad or juicing!
- 2 Carrots (optional)
- 1/4 cup Red Onion- diced
- Rinse the beets and carrots
- Peel veggies lightly (don't really have to if organic)
- Grate them with a cheese grater
- Throw it all together with onion in a small bowl.
- Add a tablespoon or two of rice vinegar.
So many ways to incorporate beets into your life. Do not get stuck thinking those gross slimy, red canned balls are the only way to eat the delicious root of life.
As mentioned, beets are great for helping the liver to detoxify. We are approaching the SPRING EQUINOX this weekend. Think about ways to help cleanse the mind and body whilst preparing for the change of seasons. See the these old posts for ideas on how to lightly cleanse the body...
Happy last few days of WINTER!